Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Ego

So I've just started reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.  I have to admit that I was a bit wary at first (and maybe I still am).  I tend to steer clear of things that have been brought to the forefront of popular culture by a daytime television talk show (no offense whatsoever to Oprah -- she's great).  Still, a friend loaned me the book and I thought I'd give it a fair shot.  I'm only on page 8, reading the section entitled, "The purpose of this book."  I have to admit that I'm a little excited.  It says that if I continue reading I will learn about the main aspects of the ego and about how the ego operates.  By identifying how the ego works I will learn to recognize it instead of identifying with it.  This sounds very similar to  the concept of "ego mindset" introduced by David Richo.  For me, knowing how the ego operates has helped me to recognize when it's at work.  For example, when I'm afraid of losing something I know automatically that it's because I (my ego) am clinging to the thing I'm afraid of losing.  In other words, I know the ego is engaging in one of its mindsets and that I don't have to go along with it.  I can simply recognize that my ego is at work, observe it nonjudgmentally, and stay with whatever feelings I'm having at the moment.  If this book will help me learn more about how to do this then I'm truly looking forward to reading it.

2 comments:

  1. It's a pretty good book. I like Tolle's work, even though it is popular. The working with Oprah thing, and all the money behind it, is actually very concerning. (Forgive me, I think Oprah does too much pushing of materialistic solutions to people's problems. She's too "feel good" for my taste.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ego (lack of..) is what I attempt to teach my students on an everyday basis ~ very tough, though, as it can potentially dominate our every move.

    Learning how NOT to fall into it's trap can be life changing!

    Thank you for the visit to coachyourmind. I'll definitely be following you, and look forward to more reading.

    -Dayne

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites