Sunday, September 13, 2009

Present moment versus planning for the future

So I'm torn between leaving things as they are, which at this point in my life includes a great amount of uncertainty, and attempting to create some security for my future.  It's hard to know when to accept things the way they are (that's what I've been working on -- accepting things as they are, even when I don't  like them) and when to do something to change the way things are. 

I suppose the first step is always to accept things as they are -- how do you know what to change if you don't know what you're dealing with?   Maybe where I'm stuck is deciding if I'm ok with the way things are in my life right now.  I know the future is always uncertain but isn't there something to be said for planning ahead?  Living in the present moment doesn't mean never thinking about the future.  In fact, can't I do both at the same time -- can't I be fully present as I sit and make plans for my future? 

I think I've made such an effort to accept things as they are that I've forgotten something very important -- there are many things in life that I have to power to change...

1 comment:

  1. I've been in a very similar place for awhile. Being present does including planning for the future, the question is can you plan without clinging to the plan and the results you want?

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites