Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Being present

I'm feeling pretty anxious today -- I've got a lot of stuff going on in my life.  I'm trying not to get caught up in my thoughts about all these stressors (I am not my thoughts -- I am the one who is aware of my thoughts) but I'm having a hard time.  It's ok -- I'm not judging myself for it.  It simply is. 

I have a patient coming in for an appointment in about 30 minutes.  My challenge for today is to set aside my problems (and my thoughts about my problems) so that I can be fully present for my patients.  This is one of the most difficult things for me (and probably for many helping professionals). 

In this moment, I am aware of my anxiety.  I am aware of my thoughts about what is going on in my life.  In this moment, I am fully present with my thoughts and my emotions.  I only hope that in the next moment -- the moments I share with my patient -- I can be as present as I am right now.

1 comment:

  1. hello you have to find someone who listens otherwise your things where they end??
    in the stomach to hurt???
    Then courageously finished the job and forget all those who listen to you try!

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites