Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Worst Case Scenario

Sometimes I find myself worrying excessively about a particular problem in my life.  Usually I'm worried about the "worst case scenario" happening.  I'm one who tries to practice what I preach so when I catch myself doing this I try something I do with my patients fairly often.  I take a really good look at the "worst case scenario" and seriously ask myself, "Ok, what would I do if that happened?  Would the world come to an end?  Or would I handle the situation the best I could and do my best to keep living my life?"  The answer is almost always, "Yes, it would be hard if this bad thing happened and it would probably make me unhappy for a period of time.  However, I would get through it just as I've gotten through other difficult situations in the past."  This typically doesn't alleviate my anxiety completely but it does help to put things into perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites