Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year's Resolutions?

I've been trying to decide if I want to make New Year's resolutions this year.  There are a lot of benefits to doing this -- mostly that when you make a conscious committment to something I think it becomes more likely that you will at least make an effort to stick with it.  My problem has been trying to come up with personal goals for the next year.  I browsed some websites for ideas and found the top ten New Year's resolutions among people in the United States.  Here they are along with my thoughts about how they might (or might not) work for me:

1. Lose weight and/or get in better physical shape:  I'm pretty satisfied with my current weight and I exercise 3 to 4 times a week already.  I'm ok with that.

2. Stick to a budget: Ok, I admit that I could do a better job budgeting.  However, I'm also realistic enough to know that I look at a budget as a guideline and that it would be very difficult for me to go by an exact budget.  That being said, why make a resolution I know I can't fulfill?  Still, I might consider something like, "Save $200 a month," but I already try to do that anyway.

3. Debt reduction: I don't really have a lot of debt and I'm steadily paying on what I do have.

4. More quality time with family and friends: I think I do a pretty good job with this.  I visit my parents (and often my sisters and nieces are there too) once a week and talk to them more frequently.  Every couple of months my sisters and I get together for a "sister day."  I do Saturdays with one of my best girlfriends almost every week, and I talk to my best friend in Georgia at least once a week.

5. Find my soul mate: I don't think this is a valid goal because it's something a person doesn't have much control over.  A better goal might be, "Date more often" or "Meet two new people."  Plus I'm dating someone and I'm relativley satisfied with the relationship.

6. Quit smoking: I don't smoke.

7. Find a better job: That was my resolution for 2008 and I did it.  I like to stay in one place for a few years and I'm ok with where I am now.

8. Learn something new: This actually isn't a bad resolution.  I just have to decide what I might like to learn.

9. Volunteer/help others: I've ran into some problems finding volunteer work that's outside of normal working hours.  Also, I'm a therapist so I help others for a living.  One of the reasons I chose the profession is because I wanted to help others and also because I wanted to feel good about what I do every day. 

10. Get organized: I'm really not that disorganized.

I'm not saying my life is perfect -- far from it.  I think I'm just satisfied with the way it is.  I don't know if that's a good thing or if it's a cop out.  I like "learn something new" as a goal -- I've been thinking about taking an art class and have actually looked into it.  I wonder if "take an art class" is ok for a New Year's resolution.  I kind of thought New Year's resolutions needed to be major life changes.  Maybe I'll just keep it simple this year...

3 comments:

  1. "I think I'm just satisfied with the way it is...." you said.

    Careful. "Satisfied" can be a slippery slope.

    My resolution is to keep acting... lots and lots of positive action! Continue to be CONSCIOUSLY aware of what I want... and do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps, the greatest impact from a New Year's Resolution List, would come from a list that is created by your heart - rather than the generic list that everyone says should be your resolutions. Look deep inside of yourself and find what it is that you want to change or better. Make that your resolution, because resolutions are about bettering ourselves. Great Post... got me thinking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not into New Year's resolutions really. Guess it doesn't seem fit the flow of things for me. Conscious effort and attention to something in my life comes when it comes, and I work with it like that. Sometimes, that means a very long, sustained commitment - I did a reflection on the buddhist precepts five days a week for over a year for one example. On the shorter end, I take regular, short breaks from drinking alcohol when it seems like a good time to detox and reflect without it. But this is what works for me - who knows if it's a good approach for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites