Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Shame and depression

I mentioned before that I was recently tasked to lead a therapy group focused on sexual assault, trauma, and depression.  I did some background research to prepare.  One thing that stood out to me is how frequently shame was mentioned as a factor contributing to depression.  I mentioned this during the first group session.  It seemed to resonate strongly with the group members.  As they shared their experiences I spontaneously found myself talking about the "power of shame."  I hadn't intended to go this route but it felt right.  It ended up being a very powerful discussion.

In the ensuing days my thoughts repeatedly turned to the concept of shame.  It's not something I've ever spent a lot of time talking about with patients, although it does come up in sessions.  There are, however, certain treatment approaches to which the concept of shame is integral.  John Bradshaw (http://www.johnbradshaw.com/) is probably the shame guru,   if there is such a thing.  His book, "Healing the Shame that Binds You," is a New York Times best seller.  In it, Bradshaw points to "toxic shame" as the underlying cause of compulsions, addiction, co-dependencies, and the drive to super-achieve or underachieve."

Shame and guilt are often used interchangeably, which can sometimes cause confusion.  For my purposes, I've decided to distinguish guilt and shame as follows:

*Guilt is a bad feeling caused by the fact of having committed a specific offense.

*Shame focuses on the entire self.  It is a painful feeling arising from the judgment of oneself as dishonorable, disgraceful, disgusting, etc.

Thus, guilt is concerned with something specific a person has done.  The focus of shame is on the self as a whole.

Like most human emotions, shame can be healthy in small doses.  Shame can compel us to eliminate bad behavior and motivate us to act in ways consistent with our values.  Healthy shame fuels personal growth and so helps us to become better people. 

Too much shame is emotionally and psychologically toxic.  (Bradshaw talks extensively about this in his book).  There is significant overlap between the consequences of toxic shame and the symptoms of major depression.  Here are some of the ways toxic shame manifests itself:

*Causes you to feel exposed and vulnerable, creating a sense that "everyone knows" how disgusting you are.  This leads to a desire to hide, withdrawal, or otherwise escape from public view.

*Generates negative judgments about the self, which is seens as inferior, flawed, damaged, disgusting, worthless, etc.

*Creates a tendency to blame yourself when something goes wrong.

*Leads to a sense that you have a very limited amount of power to control what happens in your life.  This eventually leads to feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.

*Can create social anxiety due to fears that others will judge you as negatively as you judge yourself.

Essentially, chronic shame leads to self-loathing; self-loathing leads to depression.   I have come to believe that chronic, pervasive shame inevitably leads to depression.  After all, how could a person hate himself and not become depressed over time? 

1 comment:

  1. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites